Job Opportunity: Children’s Church Coordinator
TSP CHILDREN’S CHURCH COORDINATOR
August 2017– June 2018 (initial appointment)
To coordinate the Children’s Church program and to support and encourage the teachers and volunteers as they creatively implement the vision of Trinity-St. Paul’s for the children in a community of faith:
- that grounds itself in Christian Faith through spiritual practice and theological reflection; that witnesses publicly as a Christian community, takes a stand on issues of social justice locally and globally, and deepens its relationship with the arts community, with other faith communities, and with its neighbours;
- that gathers in worship that nourishes, challenges and embraces diversity;
- that nurtures individuals and families for discipleship.
- to work with the Worship & Faith Formation Circle, the Pastoral Staff and other teachers to ensure that the Children’s Church program is functioning effectively.
- to undertake the following tasks:
- set-up and take down the Fireside Room for the Gathering time
- co-ordinate family’s provision of and if necessary purchase snacks each Sunday for the children
- prepare and distribute the snacks
- prepare and lead the Gathering time during Children’s Church in conversation with the other leaders
- create and maintain a schedule of events and a registry of children in the Children’s Church program
- collect the tithe and work with the children to decide on an appropriate recipient
- prepare and lead the children’s time during the main Sunday service, when requested
- ensure that the monthly honorarium forms are completed by the teachers and submitted to the office
- teach a class, currently the TWEENS
- to support and encourage the teachers through regular meetings and informal conversations in order to:
- reflect on the curriculum,
- develop common activities (such as opening and closing gatherings) and programs (special events), including Wholly Church
- explore and strengthen theological understanding,
- facilitate the faith journeys of the children and their integration into the Christian community, and
- address any issues that may arise.
- to act as a resource for:
- obtaining curriculum materials and supplies,
- covering emergency absences, and
- maintaining a schedule and registration lists.
- to liaise with parents, occasional leaders and volunteers, and with the Worship & Faith Formation Circle, the Youth on Bloor Coordinator and the Pastoral Staff so that these groups are aware of the activities undertaken in the Children’s Church
- to attend worship planning meetings to contribute to a strong intergenerational approach to TSP’s worship and to contribute to the planning and leading of regular Wholly Church services.
- to create and maintain an environment conducive for meeting the physical, emotional and spiritual needs of the children and the teachers, and for learning and supporting their faith journeys individually and as a community.
- to be aware of the changing needs of the children, as they move through the Children’s Church classes and beyond.
- to provide resources and organize events for TSP families (if time and resources are available)
The Children’s Church Coordinator will need:
- to have a growing knowledge of and commitment to the Christian faith;
- to have basic knowledge of the United Church of Canada, its history, its ethos, its inclusivity and its mission;
- to have a developing knowledge of Christian Scripture and a commitment to explore and expand this knowledge in the context of a multi-faith society;
- an ability to support the implementation of the curriculum with integrity and imagination;
- experience with Godly Play an asset
- a sensitivity to how children develop and learn at different stages;
- a warm, loving and respectful approach to children;
- an understanding of and commitment to the sharing of leadership and responsibility;
- to be well organized, prompt and prepared.
The Church School Coordinator is accountable to the Worship & Faith Formation Circle of Trinity-St. Paul’s United Church. There will be an end-of-term review (June 2018) with a view to extending the position. All Children’s Church staff and volunteers are required to submit a police records check.
DATES AND TIMES:
The position will begin in August 2017 so that preparations for the church year can take place. The first Sunday program with the children is Sunday, September 10 and the last Sunday program is June 10, 2018. The time on Sunday is from approximately 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon including set up, coordinating time, some teaching assistance (if required) and clean-up. Longer on Sundays where there are special activities or Wholly Church Service.
Honorarium in August will be agreed based on hours needed (for meetings and preparation). One thousand dollars per month from September, 2017 through to June, 2018. This reflects the position of Coordinator and the teacher salary for the Tweens age group. Payment will be made at the end of each month. This honourarium is equivalent to approximately 8 to 10 hours per week of activities.
Please send an email indicating your interest in this position by Friday June 30, 2017 to The Selection Committee (firstname.lastname@example.org) Subject: TSP Children’s Church Coordinator. Please include a covering letter with two references and your resumé.
Thank you for your interest in this position.