A Heritage on Bloor Street
In 1980, two long-established congregations join to form Trinity-St. Paul’s United Church. Founded in 1887 and 1889 respectively, St. Paul’s Avenue Road United Church and Trinity United Church had already contributed nearly 100 years each of dedicated service to the community, each seeking to live the love, justice and freedom of Jesus Christ. The fulfillment of this mission continues today in a lively and vital atmosphere.For more than a century, the familiar stone towers of Trinity-St. Paul’s have been a landmark on Bloor Street. The building represents the congregation’s community outreach for neighbourhood programs, social justice activities, educational forums, support services and the performing arts. It is open Monday to Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. And on Sunday from 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. During the regular season, up to 2,500 people pass through its doors each week.
Built in the Revived Romanesque style, Trinity-St. Paul’s stone was quarried from the Forks of the Credit River. It is part of the body of work of architect Edmund Burke, whose splendid buildings are so much a part of Toronto’s cityscape. In recognition of its fine architecture which is revolutionary in its democracy, Trinity-St. Paul’s has been designated as a Heritage Building by the Toronto Historical Board. Appreciation for the church’s architectural presence is widespread. In a column in the Toronto Star, Entertainment Editor Kathleen Kenna called Trinity-St. Paul’s “one of the most romantic venues in Toronto.” The sanctuary is built on an ampitheatre or auditorium plan emphasizing acoustics and visibility. This makes it an ideal location for musical performances as well as an enriching setting for worship.
In 1987, just six years after the creation of Trinity – St. Paul’s the congregation created a centential retrospective booklet that told the stories of the two congregations and the reflected on their newly joint initiatives and preoccupations as a merged entity.