TSP TEEN LEADER
August 2019 – June 2020 (INITIAL APPOINTMENT)
- Help grow TSP’s Teen Youth Group, and our congregation of families, by creating a vibrant, engaging, faith-based program where teens want to tell their friends to come along!
- Creatively implement TSP’s vision for teens, as a community of faith that:
- grounds itself in Christian faith through spiritual practice and theological reflection
- witnesses publicly, takes a stand on issues of social justice locally and globally, and deepens its relationship with the arts community, other faith communities and its neighbours
- gathers in worship that nourishes, challenges and embraces diversity
- reflects TSP’s identity as a Centre for Faith, Justice and the Arts.
- To lead the Sunday morning program for teens, in collaboration with the Children’s Church Coordinator:
- work directly with Teens, primarily teaching their session on Sunday mornings
- work between Sundays with the Children’s Church Coordinator to design and coordinate the Sunday program
- assist with prep and cleanup on Sundays as needed
- to interact with parents and other congregants on an occasional basis, to answer questions, take suggestions, etc. (Note: the primary job of liaising with parents, congregation and other parties lies with the Children’s Church Coordinator.)
The successful applicant will need:
- experience working with teens (13-17 years), ideally in a Christian, faith-based context
- experience with facilitation and nurturing group dynamics, especially among teens
- a commitment to explore Christian faith and scripture in the context of a multi-faith society
- a sensitivity to how teens develop and learn differently, at different stages
- a basic knowledge of the United Church of Canada, its inclusivity and its mission
- a warm and respectful approach to children and teens
- the ability to be well-organized, prepared and responsive.
The Teen Leader is accountable to the Children’s Church Circle, and the Children’s Church Coordinator. There will be mid-term and end-of-term reviews (Jan and June 2020), with a view to improving together. All Children’s Church staff and volunteers are required to submit a police records check.
DATES AND TIMES:
The position will begin in late August 2019 or early September with a Kickoff Workshop (with the Children’s Church Circle, Coordinator, parents and others) so that preparations for the church year can take place. The first Sunday program with the children and teens is September 8, 2019 and the last Sunday program is June 14, 2020. The time on Sunday is from approximately 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon including set up, teaching and clean-up. Longer on Sundays where there are special activities or Wholly Church Service.
Honorarium will be $350 per month from September, 2019 through to June, 2020. Payment will be made at the end of each month. This honorarium is meant to represent approximately 3.5 hours per week (on average) of work.
Please send an email indicating your interest in this position by Friday July 12, 2019 to The Selection Committee (email@example.com) Subject: TSP Teen Leader. Please include a covering letter, plus your resumé or LinkedIn profile. Interviews to take place on July 20, 2019.
Thank you for your interest in this position.